APA Dissertation Writing: How To Format The Headings
The APA format and style refers to a style of writing utilized by the journals published by American Psychological Association. This is usually documented in the American Psychological Association Publication Manual. You can find this manual in almost college or university bookstore reference section.
Since the manual is detailed and voluminous, most scholars and students normally have a hard time using it. However, to make your writing of theses easy, here are some widespread APA rules of the format:
- The Use of Headings
- How to Avoid Bias
- Using Capitalization
- Always capitalize all the names of tests
- Always capitalize major words of the four or more letters in subtitles, titles and headings
- Always capitalize courses or department names, for example, “Term Paper Course”, or “Dissertation University”
- Refrain from capitalizing the name of hypotheses or theories
- How to Use Numbers
- Always spell out common expressions and fractions
- Always spell out a number if you begin your sentence using the number
- Always spell out any number below ten
- Always use the percentage sign in your tables
The style requires your font size to be at least 12. The font used ought to be Times New Roman or Courier. Many dissertations use not less than three heading levels. The rules regarding headings can be difficult to apply. It is best to leave them to an expert or consultant.
You must avoid biasness in your work at all cost. The truth is, contrary to what it seems, it is not easy. When writing, avoid using any language that may cause offense to readers. Generally, keep off using ethnic labels such as “Hispanic.” Instead, use geographical labels such as “Mexican American.” Refrain from using terms like “lesbians” and “gay men” in place of “homosexuals.”
Unlike punctuation, this style and format can be more subjective and trickier.
Most students are normally confused or unsure on how to capitalize their pieces based on the style requirements. When stuck, you can always use the following capitalization rules in your paper:
Leave any capitalization you are unsure of to your paper consultant.
Just like capitalization, using numbers in work must follow the format and style.
As a student you will be required to write you paper in a particular format. The APA is without doubt one of the most commonly used for writing different papers. Use these tips to ensure that you have a good understanding.